Thursday, August 20, 2009

Inspiration

This summer, during our annual pilgrimage to Maine, we visited the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens for the first time. Even on a cool and misty day, it was beautiful. The landscaping was so inspiring, and the amazing combinations of plants -- just lovely. Unfortunately, much of what we saw will not grow in my hot and humid Maryland garden, but there are a few things I'd like to try next year. I am trying to transition our garden to growing only native plants, so that they will thrive with little to no care (I love it when being environmentally aware dovetails so nicely with laziness!). One little beauty I plan to make use of is coreopsis, a gorgeous flowering herb that apparently is native to most of the Eastern United States.

Speaking of inspiration, I read a gorgeous profile in the Washington Post Home section this morning about a couple of landscape designers and their home/garden/micro-farm in Vermont. The pictures alone make me want to drop everything and head for the hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment