Wednesday, January 6, 2010

January in the Garden

Herbs

Generally, my garden gets completely ignored during the winter months. And today, I realized what a crying shame that is. True, it does look kind of dead, but like me, it's just waiting. All that pent-up life, just resting, rejuvenating, anticipating. As I walked through the garden, I saw memories of the seasons just past, and signs of the spring and summer to come.

Butterfly bush

Here is where the peonies will rise again

Rhododendron, waiting

And then I took a few moments to admire the garden just exactly as it is right now. Not for its potential, but for all of its beauty right here on a bright and cold January day.

Frozen pond

Welcome to my garden sign

Stone wall

Bare oak and sky

2 comments:

  1. Laura, I just finished reading your "Being Present" post and I wanted to thank you for sharing it. What a blessing. Your photographs and your writing are beautiful. I love what you're doing here. I'll certainly be back. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit me and introduce yourself. I'm so glad we met!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, thanks for stopping by! I was so delighted to discover your blog earlier this week. I am in awe of your photographs, and have been having great fun working my way through your archives. :)

    ReplyDelete