Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sweet and Corny

Caramel popcorn

In honor of Valentine's Day, a sweet and salty snack. Caramel-drizzled popcorn. Ahhh, heaven.

I am a huge fan of popcorn. I make popcorn (cooked with just a small amount of oil, and dusted with salt) all the time. It is my go-to afternoon snack. But today, a little sweetness seems called for.

To make this, you just pop your popcorn as usual, and sprinkle a small amount of salt on it. Spread it out on a cookie sheet. Then to make the caramel, melt a tablespoon of butter in a saucepan, then stir in 1 cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 cup of water. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook at a low boil until it starts to thicken, maybe 6 or 8 minutes? I don't know, I just eyeball it. Then drizzle over your popcorn, allow to cool (if you can wait that long), and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Is making caramel really that easy?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not classic caramel, but it's close enough -- and yeah, this knock-off caramel really is that easy (and sooo worth it). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds much healthier than the way I do my popcorn (popped in oil, covered in melted butter and popcorn salt). I'll try this next time! What a great party treat, too!

    ReplyDelete